Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"...and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness"

"I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness."

Yeah, I'm with you on that one Kafka, normally I do my best to ensure that my English is written proper like, ya know?

My keyboard set up is slightly odd by the way. There is a sliding shelf under the desk where the keyboard sits, and for whatever reason (apathy probably), I don't pull the keyboard out usually. Luckily, I can touch type. In my own inimitable style, I am a three finger touch typist, but a touch typist all the same.

There are a few keys that I have to look for, which is annoying because all it does is slow me down, Goddammit! These keys are the ones to the right of P, L and M, you know, the @'s, :, /'s of this world.

On my last post, due to the effort involved in pulling out the keyboard, averting my eyes from the screen, readjusting their focus and employing the required neck muscles to look down at the offending keyboard, I chose to use speech marks (") in certain places as opposed to their billynomate equivalents (') which I think is wrong.

I'm not as anal as either Gareth or Fanno in this regard who seem to have an irresistable urge to correct even the slightest error in grammar, syntax, spelling or punctuation.

Their fastidiousness pales compares to certain people who have set up websites dedicated to highlighting these errors. I have to say, some of it is quite comical;


Whilst we are on the subject, I thought that you might enjoy this site too...


And of course, the snobbery of us English speakers knows no bounds...


Thankfully, there is at least one person out there who loves their linguistics and wants to share as opposed to criticise - nerd!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning Terribly Write. Unlike other blogs about boneheaded blunders of language and grammar, TW is dedicated to the wacky way with words by the professional writers and editors at Yahoo, the self-proclaimed "most trafficked site on the Internet."

    ReplyDelete